4 Weeks Before Moving…
- Notify your local council that you are moving. Inform them of the date that you plan to move and where to forward any correspondence such as your council tax bill.
- Contact the Post to organise the redirection of your mail for each person in the household.
- Notify your employer, building society, bank and creditors.
- Ask your doctor/dentist for recommendations of clinics nearer to your new location.
- Get copies of renewable prescriptions to cover the period until you arrange a new doctor.
- Decide which items should be discarded or donate to charity - Consider boot sales if you have a lot of things to discard.
- Notify services and utility companies such as gas, electricity, and water; telephone and cable services of your move and arrange termination or transfer of accounts from your old to new address. Also arrange to have supplies such as gas and water turned off if necessary and arrange any final or future correspondence.
- Notify your children’s schools, family clubs, activity groups, and any other such organisations of your change of address and relative contact details.
3 Weeks Before Moving…
- Sketch out the floor plan of your new home to determine where you want your furniture.
- Decide which items to pack and ask our representative for some packing boxes.
- Make a list of names, addresses and numbers you will need or want to remember and have it close to hand.
- Pack your local phone book and yellow pages so you can contact businesses and people after you move.
- Notify our representative if you have changed anything about your move, household goods, storage requirements, dates of the move etc.
- Make arrangements to move your pets on the day. Arrange any additional insurance required for your move.
- Transfer/change your insurance cover for your new home.
2 Weeks Before Moving…
- Arrange any servicing that may be required for your appliances at both your current and new address.
- Plan new and alternative routes to and from your new home and destinations such as work, schools, etc.
- Return borrowed things from neighbours and collect things you have loaned.
- Dispose of flammables and high risk substances such as petrol, bleach and cleaning fluids, and pressurised containers and aerosol cans.
- Discontinue regular services such as newspaper, window cleaner, etc.
- If moving your TV aerial or satellite dish then make arrangements to have it taken down.
1 Week Before Moving…
- Determine which items you will be needing close to hand on the day; Important documentation, keys, the list of names and telephone numbers, etc. and set them aside in a designated area.
- Organise any professional and dry cleaning services for fabrics and other such items as rugs and curtains. Keeping them in protective bags for the duration of your move.
- Use up your frozen
- Drain the fuel from lawnmowers and other power equipment.
1 Day Before Moving…
- Pack a box of essentials that will be required on arrival at your new home - Light tools, cleaning supplies, bathroom items, refuge and recycling sacks, disposable plates and cups, kettle, tea, sugar, milk and snacks.
- Take this box with you or have the driver load it last and unload first.
- Make sure all packing is done. Ensure your refrigerator has fully defrosted and is clean and dry.
- Moving day cans seem daunting. Stay calm and allow us to take the strain and alleviate the stress to ease the transition into your new home.
- Be on hand when we arrive and, if possible, throughout your move. If you are unable to do so then assign another who can direct the movers.
- Once your home has been loaded and is ready to transport make a final tour of your old home with one of our representatives to ensure nothing is overlooked.
- Confirm that the driver has all the correct details; Your mobile telephone number, new address and postcode.
- Lock all windows and doors and turn off all switches.
- Say goodbye to your neighbours.